The best blogging platforms in 2020 and how to choose the most suitable for you
There are a lot of blogging platforms in the world, so which one is better for you? Which one will contain the properties you want? Is WordPress better or Blogger?
Another important question, which of these platforms is suitable for you in terms of price? Perhaps you are looking for the best blogging platforms, this means that you have seen some information and know that some platforms are very expensive and are not suitable for your budget.
Do not worry, we will answer all these questions and more in this detailed guide. Every piece of information you will find is explained in a simple manner with many practical examples.
Different types of blogging platforms
Before we talk about the best blogging platforms, you need to know that there are different types of these platforms and each type has advantages and disadvantages, so you have to learn all types in order to choose what suits you.
How to generate traffic to your website
How to choose my blog Niche: Comprehensive guide
1- Free Hosted Platforms
These platforms enable you to have a completely free blog, as the platform guarantees everything, it is the one who owns the server that saves your data (texts – pictures), and also it is the one that guarantees the maintenance of the service and the protection of this data.
One of the most famous examples of these platforms is the Blogger platform provided by Google – which we will talk about in more detail later.
This type of platform has certain characteristics which are:
- You can start very easily.
- You can modify the design of your blog, but there is a certain limit to what you can modify.
- The platform you use is the owner of your content and has the right at any time to delete or disable your blog.
- Some platforms of this type are very slow.
- It is often difficult for your blog to appear in search engines such as Google and Bing.
- You can link your domain to your blog, but often you will need to pay for this service.
Explanation: Free blogs give you a subdomain like (myblog.blogspot.com), as you can see that the name of your blog (my blog) is associated with the same blogger (Blogspot.com). If you want to own your own domain (myblog.com), then you will have to pay a certain amount of money that depends on the platform itself.
Personally, I would never recommend using this type of platforms except for beginners completely, or who want to try several platforms until they choose what suits them best.
Other than that you do not have the content that you post on these platforms, there is also another major drawback, and that is that sometimes you cannot transfer your content to another platform or to your own site.
2- Hosted Platforms
These platforms are very similar to the previous type, but the main difference between them is that you pay for this service in exchange for the capabilities offered by the platform, such as:
- Connect your blog to your domain.
- Design tool for your blog.
- Save your files of any size on the servers of the platform.
The main drawbacks of this type of platforms are:
- Your site design options are somewhat limited.
- Most of these platforms do not make you control your blog completely. For example, you may not be able to use email marketing or use some data analysis and visitor monitoring tools.
- The cost is high compared to other platform types.
- Some of these platforms do not allow you to use SEO well to generate traffic to your site from search engines.
Explanation: SEO is an abbreviation of Search Engine Optimization, and is intended to set the content of your blog so that it appears in the first results of the search engines and thus get free visits.
Perhaps the most famous example of this type of platform is (SquareSpace – Wix – Weebly) which you may have heard about before.
It is worth noting that most of these platforms you can start with for free (such as the first type that we talked about) until you try the platform and then you pay to get more advantages.
This type of platform is suitable for people who are looking for the easiest way to own a blog and have the right budget, so everything related to your blog is in one place, but you will have to waive some features and blog controls, and not be interested in obtaining free traffic from search engines.
3- Content Management Systems (CMS)
The content management system is a tool that makes you control everything on your site without the need to know any of the different programming languages.
Therefore, this type of blogging platform is called (Self – Hosted Platforms), because you are responsible for your blog itself, meaning that you need:
- Buy your domain.
- Buy a server to host your blog on it.
- Connect the domain to your server.
- Download the content management system you want.
- Designing your site in a way that suits you, managing it and updating its contents completely.
Perhaps the most famous example of this type is the famous WordPress platform, and by the way, this website now depends on this type of platform.
Advantages of content management systems in general:
- You are the owner of the content completely.
- You can use an endless number of different website design and building tools.
- You can take advantage of all the available marketing channels (email marketing – SEO marketing – social media marketing).
- Most popular CMSs are super fast which makes your blog offer a good user experience.
And other features that have made the most popular and powerful blogs and websites in the world dependent on WordPress and other content management tools, but this does not prevent that there are flaws in these platforms.
Disadvantages of content management systems:
- You need constant monitoring and checking your site to ensure its safety.
- A large number of tools and add-ons available in the market opens a door to endanger your site, so you have to look carefully for the best and most secure tools.
- You need capital to purchase hosting for your blog, although this cost is much lower than the previous type.
- The more your blog grows and more visitors come to it, you need to buy stronger hosting and this raises the cost.
If you want to have a professional blog, I advise you to use this type of platform, and do not worry I will tell you everything you need to know in order to have one later.
How to get traffic to your website for free: 14 methods
4- Publishing Platforms
This type of blogging platform is a platform that enables you to publish articles only. Imagine, for example, that you publish your articles in an online electronic newspaper.
One of the most popular platforms in this genre is the popular Medium website, which many writers and authors use to present their cultural and intellectual articles and theses, which we will talk about in more detail later.
Features of the live publishing platforms:
- Ease of publishing, all you need is to write articles.
- The ability of your articles to spread among the visitors of the platform you depend on.
- You can use many of these platforms for free.
- You can earn money on some platforms if your articles bring in a lot of visitors.
Disadvantages of live publishing platforms:
- You do not own the rights to your articles, and the platform has the right to remove them at any time.
- You must adhere to the rules of the platform you use, and this may limit your freedom to write.
- You may not be able to benefit from SEO or other marketing channels.
- You cannot design your blog according to what you want, because all you have to do is put some pictures or videos.
This type of platform is well suited for people who want to practice writing and know what people are saying about the topics they are talking about.
You can also use these platforms as a test tool for your upcoming blog idea, this is how I used to experiment with profitable domains or Niche.
Perhaps now you feel a little confused, and you want to know which of these types are most suitable for you. Let me help you then!
How to choose the best blogging platform
There are several factors that you have to consider before you choose from the best blogging platforms that I will show you later, or even from other available platforms.
1- Why do you want to own a blog?
The reason behind creating a blog is the deciding factor in choosing the right platform, for example:
- Want to own a blog as one of the ways to make money from the Internet and start your own business?
- Want to create a blog for your company or project to use content marketing and bring in new customers?
- Do you want to profit from writing articles, and want to use the blog to post examples of your work to those interested in cooperating with you?
- Do you want to share some of your ideas just at leisure?
- Do you have a YouTube channel, and want to have a simple blog to share some private information with your audience?
You have to answer the previous questions first before you think about the different platforms, for example if you want to profit from writing online, you can rely on a platform for direct publishing and so on.
2- The cost
The budget that you have is a big factor in choosing. Even if owning a professional blog now does not cost much (from 30 to 80 dollars) for the first year.
But the more you want possibilities and control, the more money you will have to pay.
3- Ease of use
Are you looking for comfort and to have everything in one place, or can you learn some simple skills that will make you have a professional blog?
For example, a WordPress platform needs you to learn a few simple things, while a platform like Wix might be easier to use.
4- Additions and features
Do you want to count on Pop Ups? Or link your accounts on social media with your blog so that you automatically promote your articles on the communication sites as soon as they are published.
Explanation: Pop ups are those notifications that appear to you when you visit some sites, and that ask you to subscribe to the mailing list or buy a specific product that has a discount?
Want to do product reviews and use some infographics like you see on professional websites, which add a cool aesthetic.
Want to have complete control over how your articles appear on search engines (title – description written below the title) and other features?
Every blogging platform has advantages as I mentioned earlier, so you have to know what you want well before you choose what suits you best.
5- Rules of use
Remember that each platform has certain conditions that you must adhere to in order not to lose your efforts and lose all of your articles, as there are many people who lost their sites on platforms like Blogger as a result of violating the rules.
How we chose the best blogging platforms
n order to help you choose, at the same time, we guarantee the sincerity and quality of the information we provide to you. We relied on the following factors:
- The global use rate for different platforms, for example, 60% of the sites that depend on a content management system depends on WordPress, while only 1.6% depend on Blogger.
- Our experiences in evaluating platforms, we have good experience in various types of digital marketing and making money from the Internet.
- Reviews of experts and specialists in building websites and evaluating different platforms.
- Relying on popular rating platforms to rate all types of online services such as the popular Trustpilot website.
We care about you and appreciate that you spend your valuable time reading the content we offer, so we make sure to put in your hands effective information and strategies that help you achieve your goals.
The best blogging platforms in the world
WordPress is the world’s most popular content management system (CMS), on which millions of websites, blogs or e-stores, depend on because of its many advantages.
In order to take advantage of this great blogging platform you need to take the following steps:
- You have to own a domain for your site, which ranges from 1 to 15 dollars.
- You have to purchase a suitable hosting for your site (you can start with $ 20 for the first year and if you want professional hosting, you will reach approximately $ 60 for the first year).
- You have to install WordPress on the server that hosting gives you (don’t worry, this is a very simple step?).
- Choosing a WordPress theme is appropriate for the features you want.
- Define some WordPress plugins that you will depend on to facilitate your site management and add some features that you need.
- You can modify and change your blog any way you want.
- There are many explanations and information about WordPress on the Internet for free, which will help you in the event of any problem.
- There are a lot of free and paid tools that help you build and manage your blog very easily.
- You can use the HTML and CSS codes easily to edit your blog or add some features if you like.
- You can easily add an online store to your blog to sell products or services to your audience.
Too many free tools and add-ons can put your blog at risk, so you have to research well and use reliable sources to get the information.
Blogger is a hosted blogging platform provided by Google for free, if you have a Google account, you can create your blog on Blogger now.
Blogger platform features:
- Ease of use.
- Blogger is owned by Google, and this greatly guarantees your blog’s safety and integrity.
- You can link your domain.
- Easily link your blog to various Google tools and services such as (Google Analytics – Google Adsense).
- You can easily use HTML and CSS codes to edit your blog or add some features.
- Design and editing options on your blog are a bit limited.
- Blogger has not been updated for a long time, and there is no news about Google’s intention to update the platform soon.
This is in addition to the disadvantages of this type of platform, which I mentioned earlier, for example, Google can stop your blog at any time without notice and it also has the rights to any content you publish.
Blogger platform is a good platform for beginners who want to learn and do not have any budget at all to use WordPress.
3- Medium platform
Medium is one of the best direct publishing platforms on the Internet, and it is worth mentioning that the founder of this platform is Evan Williams, the same one who founded the Blogger platform before selling it to Google.
The medium platform is considered somewhat modern, it was established in 2012 and its purpose is to make blogging like social media, so anyone can post what he wants and at the same time, different members can discover new and unique content easily.
Medium platform features:
- Ease of use, imagine that you are writing an article on Word or Google Documents.
- You can use the platform for free.
- Some of your articles can top the search results because Medium has good power in the eyes of different search engines.
- Visitors to the sites can follow you so they receive notification of your articles as they are published.
- You can earn money from your articles if a lot of visitors read it.
Disadvantages of medium platform:
- There are no options to make your blog distinct or different from others, all you have is a picture of your account and a background image (Cover Photo) like that found on your Facebook account.
- All articles are reviewed by a dedicated team, and this places some restrictions on your freedom, and may also prevent you from profiting from the platform if you violate the rules.
- You cannot use your domain as all articles are published directly on the Medium platform.
If you like to write in English and want to test your writing skills and want to know people’s reactions to it, I advise you to try this great platform.
You can also use this platform directly with WordPress, so that any article you publish on your blog is published directly on Medium, thus using this platform to bring traffic to your main blog and raise awareness about it.
4- Wix platform
The Wix platform is one of the most popular paid hosted blogging platforms, and the number of its users is increasing day by day due to the advantages it offers that suits a large group of people.
Wix platform features:
- The user interface is simple and easy to use, especially in writing articles.
- There are ready-made templates and designs that you can use and modify very easily.
- You can try the platform completely free of charge.
- You can add an online store to your blog to easily sell products or services.
- You can create templates for your blogs to make posting simpler in the future.
Disadvantages of Wix platform:
- The cost may be a little high, so you can start from $ 4.5 a month to $ 24.5 a month, depending on the capacity and features you want.
- The Wix platform is not robust with regards to SEO compared to WordPress.
- The free version is limited to use and does not let you test all the features of the platform.
- It is very difficult to transfer your content to any other platform.
If you are looking for the simplest options to own a professional blog and have the budget, then Wix might be what you’re looking for.
Other great blogging platforms which are also good to use
- Squarespace which is similar to the Wix platform.
- The Weebly platform, which is also similar to the Wix platform.
- Tumblr is a social media platform, but instead of posting photos, you publish small articles.
- Joomla platform is a content management system like WordPress, but it is more difficult to use and does not have the same features.
- The most recently emerging Webflow platform for professionals and web designers.
How to make money from Google: 10 methods 2020
How to make money online from Youtube
Thanks for reading